Sunday, September 07, 2008

Last night, after the party was over and all the guest had left, I turned on the television for some down time about midnight (or later) I happened into this movie in the middle and was captured. Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont sucked me in with its charming London scenes... plus I love Joan Plowright. It was not the light, mindless show I was searching for but I could not turn away. So many things in the movie made me think of Mom, and Grandmother Kent, and how family can become an ugly word. The idea of being more attached to your 'family' of friends than your blood family stuck very close to home for me... too true it is for me. What do you do when you have little in common with your family, other than the blood in your veins? Should you feel bad when you call or email a friend half way around the world twice a week but you have not called or seen you brother who is only 6 hours away in 10 months?

I must buy the movie now and see it from the beginning. There are very few movies that move me as deeply as this one has. I weeped for the last 5 minutes of the movies and into the credits... yes I know many of you will think that is just me... and it may have been that it was just too much to drink and being drained by the party ... but I am not talking a single tear, like Titanic... it was uncontrollable sobs... Brian did not even pick on me for it.

The movie has been on my mind for 24 hours now... I just can not get all the horrid questions about family verses the family we make for ourselves out of my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I can see why this movie would have affected you that way. And your friend may not be a part of your family, but she is eternally grateful for those phone calls and emails when she was a long long long way from home herself.

Love you
Bec

Ailire said...

I think that Duncan may have you beat on not talking to brothers. He has one an hour away, and another that's three hours away, and I think it's been 5 years since he's talked with either.

You know, they say "You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family." Maybe we have friends to make up for families.

Hugs...

~Ailire~