Monday, November 03, 2008


I have a follower! I know a few friends read this blog and I get the odd comment here and there, but know I have someone that has stood up and said I follow this blog... well I have heard she has an addiction... but I do have to say I like the new feature... or old one I never knew was there. I can follow others blogs now.

It is funny how blogs have changed. When I started, late in the game as it was, I wanted everyone to read my ideas and views on the world around me... now I have just put both my facebook and myspace accounts to private... and deleted many friends that were only people I had worked with. It was like a light bulb coming on... I would not want these people in my home, why would I want them to know what I share with my friends and family. There are very few I work with here in Atlanta that I would invite into my home. Sad to say that I have many more co-workers that live from Seattle to DC who are welcome. This fact is reflected in many ways with my work. The local company I work directly with has changed so much in the last 8 years. Unfortunately, the changes are not for the good. When I started in 2000, people really cared about and mentored each other and their staffs. Their culture was more than words... you did not have to be told what it was you could see it in each person, in each action the company took. What the company was doing was communicated to each person at the same time. Everyone was proud to recommend the places and things we did. Those days are only memories now for the few that still hang on... hang in there.... hoping that things will improve... that the spark will return again. Now the company is all about profit first and foremost. At the expense of everything else... their culture, their people, their dignity... none of that matters now. 90 days of "vacation" every five years can not make up for no pay increases for 5 of 9 years I will have worked for them, December 2009 when next I can receive an increase. It is not all about the money even though this is a business for me as well as them. Like any business venture, there comes a time when no matter how much you love it, you have to move on or go under. I have never been one to run a business into the ground... not ones I have managed for others nor ones I managed for myself.

That time is here now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the follower. I remain in the shadows lurking but reading every blog written...I think this was hit right on the head BTW!!!!

Kenneth said...

thank you... it makes me a little sad to remember all the great times as a company we all shared.

Anonymous said...

I refuse to be called a follower LOL I am a sharer (you do read my crap right ??? LOL). However, I believe I am your oldest continous friend in the world !!!

B

Kenneth said...

Will I get in trouble for agreeing with you about the old part?

Thanks for always being there even if it was from 5 time zones away. And you are right.... you are not a follower! You are the ones beating people out of the way with your club of reason!

Anonymous said...

I have a club of reason??? Do we sell drinks? Man I could use a a drink ROTF LOL!!!

OLD??? OLD???? That's ok sparky, I am only scouting ahead for you to follow :D

B

Ailire said...

I'll let y'all battle about being old. I'm not going to acknowledge anything about old today.

La la la la la (fingers in ears) la la la la la!

~A~